What Is a Nitrogen Generator Used For?
In short, a nitrogen generator is used to produce nitrogen gas, on site, in many different industries. With a nitrogen generator available, companies are able to produce the nitrogen gas they need, when they need it, eliminating the need for cylinder delivery and the worry of running out.
Industrial Uses for Nitrogen Gas
Nitrogen gas is used in many varying industries—a few of them are highlighted below:
· Food Packaging – Nitrogen is used to displace oxygen in food packaging. By eliminating the oxygen, the food can last longer. It can also add a cushion around the food to keep it safe from breaking in transport.
· Light Bulb Production – In incandescent light bulbs, nitrogen gas is often used as a cheaper alternative to argon.
· Chemical Plants – Nitrogen is used to displace oxygen and prevent explosions in highly dangerous atmospheres, such as chemical plants and manufacturing facilities.
· Tire Inflation – Nitrogen offers many benefits when used to fill tires, such as giving them a longer life by reducing oxidation. It also improves tire pressure retention to give drivers better gas mileage.
· Electronics – When electronics are being assembled, nitrogen gas is used for soldering. Using nitrogen reduces the surface tension to provide a cleaner breakaway from the solder site.
· Stainless Steel Manufacturing – By electroplating the stainless steel with nitrogen, the finished product is stronger and resistant to corrosion.
· Pollution Control – Nitrogen gas can be used to remove the VOCs in liquids before they are discarded.
· Pharmaceuticals – Almost every major drug class contains some nitrogen, even antibiotics. Nitrogen, in the form of nitrous oxide, is also used as an anesthetic.
· Mining – In the mining industry, nitrogen gas is used to quickly extinguish fires by eliminating the oxygen from the air. And when an area is going to be abandoned, they use nitrogen to ensure the area will not explode.
As you can see, there are many uses for nitrogen gas in several diverse industries—and this list is only the tip of the iceberg. By using a nitrogen generator for their nitrogen needs instead of worrying about cylinder deliveries, companies can increase their efficiency and save time and money. To learn more about how a nitrogen gas generator can help you, contact us now.